Ankle and Foot Orthotics are orthopedic devices that fit in a shoe to reduce the risk of injury, make foot motion more efficient, and modify foot function. Orthotics are designed to treat, adjust, and support biomechanical foot disorders and in some cases may be used as an alternative to surgery. Custom orthotics can be especially helpful to patients who suffer from diabetes, plantar fasciitis, hammer toes, heel spurs, and arthritis. We create custom orthotics in our Hawthorne, NJ podiatry office by using an impression of the patient’s foot, which duplicates any misalignments in the foot’s structure.
These common signs and symptoms may indicate misalignment of the feet:
- Abnormal shoe wear (for example, one side of the sole of the shoe wears out faster than the other)
- Chronic heel (such as plantar fasciitis), low back, or knee pain
- Flat feet
- Frequent ankle sprains
- Gait abnormalities (such feet pointing inward or excessively outward while walking)
- Shin pain (such as shin splints)
How to Get Custom Ankle & Foot Orthotics
Dr. Kesler is an expert on foot function and biomechanics. He can perform an evaluation that will include a gait analysis as well as full biomechanical examinations to determine which type of ankle or foot orthotics are right for you.
Our Hawthorne podiatry office utilizes the TOM-CAT™ Foot Scanner, which minimizes the steps required to prescribe custom ankle and foot orthotics. Traditional casting methods require messy plaster, and sometimes require multiple castings to get the proper mold for your feet. The TOM-CAT 3D Scanner is a safe, accurate, and clean system that produces more accurate results faster by replacing traditional methods of prescribing orthotics.
- No more messy plaster casting, and no clean-up required
- Various foot positions to ensure your comfort
- Eliminates common problems encountered with traditional casting
- Delivers results in just seconds
- Ensures accuracy for the best possible orthotic prescription
- No need for multiple casting appointments